Saturday, May 1, 2010

Love Pt. One

There is a lot I want to say. There is a lot I want to do. But here is what I am starting with tonight, what I am asking you to do.

I am asking you to ask yourself what you think LOVE is. I want you to analyze it, define it, break it down in every way you think possible. There is a concept that my teacher taught us in our humanities class. He told us, in everything we read, to view it with "an empty cup," to come to it with no preconditions or preconceived notions. It was so we could view the work we were reading as unbiased, so we could take everything we could from it. We even read the book of John, and getting rid of "preconceived notions" was perhaps the hardest thing I have ever had to do in the context of reading. But I learned so much from it. My biases, my previous thoughts had actually blocked me from getting everything I could from it.

So tonight, I want to break down LOVE, that elusive term, I want to see how I define it, and then I want to come and exam that principle biblically, with an "empty cup." So many people say, "Christians are so narrow minded, they don't love anyone who doesn't believe just what they believe." And even some Christians become confused, "If they don't follow what I do, I must not have to love them." But what does the Bible say? What are we supposed to follow? What does LOVE mean?

And in the words of Pilate,


"What is truth?"

Goodnight all. You are in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment